by Julie Tegenhoff
Image: www.becomingminimalist.com
I believe the world around us is beginning to crumble, not necessarily because everything is ending, but because so much of what we built was never sustainable. We created a world driven by status, money, competition, appearances, productivity, and ego. We learned to measure human worth by what someone owns, earns, achieves, or displays. It was never a particularly gentle world, and now its foundations are cracking.
Something new will have to take its place. I hope we create a world that is a little softer. One where kindness is not mistaken for weakness. Where people matter beyond their usefulness. Where we are more connected to one another, to nature, to our bodies, and to spirit. A world where success is not determined by how loudly someone can promote themselves or how much attention they can capture.
Because the digital world is waiting to define us. It can give us identities, opinions, distractions, artificial relationships, and endless ways to escape the quiet. It can convince us that visibility is the same as value and that being noticed is the same as being known. Those who have never discovered who they are without their possessions, titles, approval, followers, or carefully constructed image may be the easiest to consume.
That may be why the question matters now more than ever: Who are you when everything gets taken away?
Who are you without an audience? Without a title? Without money to display or accomplishments to list? Who are you when the screen goes dark and you are sitting quietly with God?
Perhaps the people capable of creating the next world will be those who have already survived the collapse of their own. The ones who lost what once defined them and discovered that something living still remained. The ones who kept creating, kept caring, kept telling the truth, and kept trying to be human in a world determined to turn humanity into data.
I do not have everything I once had, and I am not where I thought I would be. But I am still creating. I am still trying to help others. I am still working on myself. I am still choosing kindness without allowing it to erase me. And perhaps that is who I am, not what the world gave me, but what remained when so much of it was taken away.
No comments:
Post a Comment